Join our team.
Pneubotics is looking for strong candidates to help build the world’s first soft robotic arms. We have reimagined robots from the ground up to produce soft machines that are stronger, safer, and more efficient in construction and operation than ever before. We are now building the core team that will help our robots take their first steps into the world.
Pneubotics is an Otherlab company based in the Mission district in San Francisco. We offer a vibrant environment, competitive benefits, and the chance to help guide the direction of a new company. As we grow our small, tight-knit team we are looking to hire people that have an appetite for solving hard problems. If you have a background in creating sophisticated machines or building a company and have a strong desire to tread into the unknown, we would like to hear from you.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender expression, gender identity, national origin, disability status, and protected veteran status.
Specific opportunities are listed below. We are always looking for good people and have interns on an ongoing basis so feel free to drop us a line even if you don't see anything below that fits your profile. Please send your coverletter and résumé to firstname.lastname@example.org
VP Finance and Operations
We are looking for an adaptive candidate to take charge of the finance and administrative aspects of Pneubotics’ business. The position entails working closely with the leadership team to build an operational infrastructure that will enable the business to efficiently grow and bring on new customers.
We are looking for a unique candidate who has the ability to scale up and manage but is motivated to roll up their sleeves and get the work done in the near term. You will provide leadership and responsibility for all financial and administrative aspects of the company. You are enthusiastic and excited to design new processes and enhance existing ones with the goal of ensuring effective flow of information and resources throughout the business. You are motivated to leverage the latest technology, identify inefficient practices, and develop continual improvement processes for the organization.
To get a better idea of what this role would look like and how you may fit please read Hire a VP Finance Sooner Rather Than Later. We found that it captured our vision for this role very well.
- BA/BS degree in Finance or Accounting or related discipline or equivalent practical experience.
- 6 years of relevant experience in startups, finance, administration, management consulting, corporate strategy or similar environment.
- Distinctive problem solving and analysis skills, combined with impeccable business judgment, organizational skills, and ability to communicate with a senior management team
- Experience with finance systems and processes (e.g. accounting, purchasing, payroll)
- Familiarity with monitoring budgets and expenses, equipment and supplies
- Ability to manage HR systems and provide legal compliance oversight
- Enthusiastic about both the tactical and strategic parts of the job
- Previously executed in a similar role at a startup
- Database and reporting experience including proficiency in working with standard commercial database and management platforms
- Demonstrated experience in driving process improvement and driving change
- Ability to self-start and self-direct work in an unstructured environment, and comfortable dealing with ambiguity
Computer Vision Software Engineer
We are looking for a talented software engineer that is excited to lead the development of a computer vision platform that will allow our new breed of soft robots to effectively plan and interact with the world. This person will work closely with the controls team to bring our hardware to life. The role will be a split between development of computer vision algorithms and providing support to the planning and control behaviors that will act off of the vision information.
We are looking for an adaptive candidate that is excited by the prospect of building state of the art vision systems while being highly motivated to build practical solutions for the real world. The ideal candidate will have worked in a robotics related field and has previous experience working with hardware and all the challenges that come with it. As a small company we look for people who thrive in a flexible environment. The right person will bring a passion for their work that is only enhanced by their ability to listen to others and weigh different approaches evenly.
- BA/BS degree in Software or related field and 10 years relevant experience in computer vision and robotics
- MS/PhD and 5 years relevant experience in computer vision and robotics
- Understanding of various vision technologies (RGB-D, LIDAR, Stereo, etc.) and techniques (2D/3D detection, filtering, features extraction, clustering, SLAM, etc.)
- Experience writing / debugging / parameter tuning / generating efficient code for computer vision
- Familiarity with ROS, OpenCV, PointCloudLibrary software tools
- Ability to work with existing codebases and to create complex software platforms from scratch
- Proficiency with C++, Python, and Linux
- You enjoy working in teams but can complete complex tasks that require critical thinking without supervision.
- Have a natural excitement to explore problems and share your knowledge with colleagues
- Previous experience developing perception for mobile manipulation systems
- Directly worked with robotics hardware and possess an understanding of real world issues that arise, experience with real-time operating systems
- Fundamental understanding of control systems, planning, and optimization
- Ability to provide leadership, manage schedules, and in time, grow a team
- Previously executed in a similar role at a startup
We are looking for a natural controls engineer to help teach our compliant robots to interact with the world around them. As part of the controls team you will help define a new standard in manipulation where robots seek out and take advantage of contact as opposed to avoiding it. In order to develop effective control laws, this person will need to analyze and understand messy non-linear systems and produce simple (but not too simple) models that describe their behavior. Primary responsibilities include developing and implementing control algorithms in software, integrating new sensing/state estimation methods, and bringing up/debugging new systems. The problems we are solving are complex and require someone who can work fluidly in a small team. The right candidate will have a good foundation in the following.
- BS in mechanical engineering or similar field with at least four years experience
- MS/PhD in relevant field with at least 4 years applied work experience
- Strong background in classical and modern controls
- Ability to speak physics fluently
- Proficiency in computer programming
- Willingness to tackle difficult problems and take on a bit more responsibility than they’d really like
- MS or above in mechanical engineering, computer science, robotics, or similar
- Demonstrated ability to control physical systems
- Hands on experience writing software to control physical systems
- Has worked in C++, Python, Linux, and ROS
- Familiarity with embedded systems, communication protocols, and developing real-time software
- Motion planning or computer vision experience a big plus
- Comfortable with linear algebra, robot kinematics, representations of 3D rotations